kiltedunited.myfreeforum.org Forum Index kiltedunited.myfreeforum.org
A Forum for kilt wearers around the world to unite! Tartan kilts, Tweed kilts, UtiliKilts, X-Kilts-If you wear one, unite here for discussion and fun

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make a victorian style goat hair sporran-STEP-BY-STEP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    kiltedunited.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Kilt & Accessories DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: How to make a victorian style goat hair sporran-STEP-BY-STEP Reply with quote

Hi all-
I have a batch of orders for our JOhn Brown Sporran style, and I will be documenting the steps.  I'm starting with the hair prepping.  Goat hair is TOUGH to deal with and some work needs to be done to ensure a proper sporran!!!  Starting today, pics to follow
SkyeHighlandOutfitters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go-
First I make the template on paper and cut it out.  You must take a piece of graph paper and fold in half.  Design a template and cut and you'll have a symmetrical sided template for your front and back panels.

I then take my goat hair.  Wwhat a mess!!!  This is the hard part-Yo0u must take the hair-Fill up the sink with HOT water and DAWN dish washing soap.  Put the hair and soak for 1/2 hour.  Drain, rinse, and rinse, and rinse until the hair is almost white with all the barnyard yuckies gone.  Take some pantene hair conditioner and mix thoroughly.  Rinse one final time and lay the hair clump out to dry.  You can by 1 lb. bags from Skye Highland Outfitters for 20$.

After about 3 hours in the sun-Its dry and ready for combing out.  This is the worst/hardest part of the prep work for the hair.  You'll hate it, but the end result is worth it!!!

More pics coming soon..
SkyeHighlandOutfitters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quick video that showws how I brush the treated goat hair into its wonderful looking state ready for sewing-
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums...ew&current=BrushingMohair.mp4
SkyeHighlandOutfitters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEre is the next video clip showing me sewing the hair to the thin leather backing that will eventually be bonded to the front panel.
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums...ew&current=Hairsewandbond.mp4
SkyeHighlandOutfitters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pics of progress.  You can see how layering the hair really bulks it up!!  No worries, when you're done, you spray the hair down and set it .  The wool absorbs the water and creates tiny....I want to say dread-lock-ish strands.  Probably a better word to describe it, but it ends up looking gorgeous!!! So far, here you go-

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK-I've finished sewing all the hair and have binded all the seams.  The hair panels is one big ball of puff and needs to be tamed-

Take your spray bottle with water and prepare to rame the savage goat hair sporran beast!-

Take the leather and hold upside down to expose the layers independently.  Hit each layer liberally in-between, front and back.  Do each layer this way.

Now, shake the hair panel and the water will begin to fling off.  You will also notice the hair beginning to clump nicely.  You will repeat this 3-4 more times during the construction.  Here's what it looks like after the first spray down.....GORGEOUS!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    kiltedunited.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Kilt & Accessories DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: